Text    Map    Google Map

    A village (717 meters altitude) is situated in a narrow valley of the superior flow of the river Hron below the craggy woody downhill of the mount Hôrka.
    The village arose in 1945 as a result of accouplement of the old settlements with formation and development of ironwork industry. The settlements Nová Maša, Švábolka, Zlatno and Vaľkovňa belonged originally to the village Šumiac and arose in the 18th - 19th century in the environment of dam, mining villages, and iron mills. All of these enterprises created a part of the Coburg Iron-Works complex in Horehronie. In the locality, there are still rests of the original iron mill from the end of the 18th century and of the dam from the 19th century. Life and culture of mining and later industrial villages were completely different from the surrounding older villages. Despite the mining tradition, the local villages followed up with worker's culture of Ungarian villages in the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century.
    Nová Maša arose in the second half of the 18th century as a workpeople's settlement around the dam.
    Švábolka, a settlement at the place where the main road passes to the right bank of the river Hron, arose by the end of the 18th century because of a new-built metallurgical furnace and a new iron mill in 1823 which worked until 1926.
    Zlatno is a village situated on the left bank of the river Hron where the creek Havraník and Zlatnica join the river Hron. The village arose as a settlement by the end of the 18th century near the iron furnaces, enriched by an iron mill in 1848.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy