Text    Map    Google Map

    Šumiac is quite a big mountainy village (880 m), situated at the eastern part of the Heľpa valley, 2 km in the north from the river Hron. The village Červená Skala (Red Rock) is also a part of Šumiac. In the southwest from Šumiac, there are very nice valleys with beautiful Šumiac Karst, a hill Dudlavá skala (Dudlavá Rock) 892 m and a Dudlavá Cave.
    The village was founded in the 15-th century as a result of a colonization process that was based on Walachian Law. The first privileges were given to the village in 1573. At that time it was a part of Muráň County having its own hereditary reeve. Majority of the local population were farmers, woodcutters and joiners. A sawmill and a glass smeltery were built in the 17-th century. In the 19-th century, many people had to commute to work to the iron-works in the Red Rock village. Thanks to building railways from Red Rock to Margecany in the 1930´s, many people found new jobs.
    Šumiac has the same regional culture that the village Telgárt and Vernár. Wooden rustic houses with saddle-like roofs and open yards remained well preserved till today. Cellars were usually very cold, because only one room in a house was heated. The most common interior was: simple wooden furniture, carpets and cloths.
    In the village there is a classicistic chapel from the year 1823 and a baroque-classicistic church from the year 1775. It was built at foundations of an older wooden small church from the year 1643 with icons from the year 1909, baptistery, patronal branch and a candelabre from the 19-th century.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy