It is a smaller village at the foot of the hill Siná, not far from the mouth of the Demänovská dolina (Demänovská Valley). It originated in the region of the village Bodice. The first written reference about the village is from the year 1365, when it became a subject of proprietary rights. It belonged to the Bodický family, since the 16th century to the Palugay and Okoličány family. Inhabitants worked as farmers and wood-cutters, later they worked in factories in the town of Liptovský Mikuláš, too. In the 19th and at the beginning of the 20th century, the additional occupation was home production, especially production of bells, buckles, weaving of canvas, bagging and carpets.
As to the older construction projects, bell tower from 1883 was maintained which was working as meter of time and signalling machine.
Above the village, on the ridge of the hill Siná, called “Na jame” (On the hole), was one of our highest set of fortified settlements from the era of Púchov´s culture. Two other fortified settlements are situated a little bit lower.
Inhabitants of the village Lehota were at the beginning of the development of tourism and winter sports in the Low Tatras, as well as at the time of exploring of the Demänovské caves. Today the village of Lehota is a resort with favourable location - a suitable starting point for hikes to the Demänovská valley as well as to the National park of Nízke Tatry (Low Tatras).