It is a large village (altitude 440 m), situated 10 km in the West from Podbrezová. It is connected with the village Dubová. The first written reference about the village is from the year 1281, when it was a part of the Slovenská Ľupča county. People worked as lacers, sellers, farmers or workers in refinery in Dubová.
Close before the World War II., there was a lime-kiln and a brick-kiln in the village. Right in the lime-kiln Germans shot and burned up about 900 men, women and children in January 1944. Nowadays the lime-kiln is used as a war memorial together with a Hall of War with an exhibition of war documentaries. The memorial was made by the academic sculptor K. Patakyová.
In the village there is a Roman-Catholic gothic church of St. Nicolaus from the 15-th century. It was rebuilt in the baroque style in the 18-th century and repaired in the 20-th century. It has a gothic vault and the interior from the 18-19-th century.
The village is in the protected area of the Low Tatras National Park (NAPANT).